Wednesday, October 17, 2012

One Autistic Experience - Life on the Other Side of Typical

Ok, here we go again. Mom is pushing the independence again and I might as well make it productive. Quiet I have been yet I am thought filled still. To "say it because you feel it" I don't always understand or agree with. Sometimes there is far too much voice, far too little listening in the world. To simply ramble seems pointless, yet we seem to connect through the ramblings of others sometimes. Blogs are ramblings at their best... and sometimes worst. To see the self appointed experts sometimes angers me. Living it and living with someone who lives it are two different things. Each has a voice unique, but when the later tries to speak for the former untruths abound. I speak for me, just me. My knowledge is limited to this body alone. If anyone tells you a different story they are selling you a lie. Parents need to learn their child not someone else's. I speak for me alone as one autistic experience - not yours. Life on the other side of typical has its moments good and bad. "One at a time" seems the order of my life; one sense, one movement, one thought held tightly against a background of chaos. We strive for meaning in our lives. Nowhere is that more true than autism. All of the over selections you speak of and teach to, all of the stims and perseverations we engage in, seek to put meaning to our lives. I am an autist. I have learned this word is a meaning unto itself. But I am also an individual and it is our individuality which holds the key to our connectedness. This is true for the entire spectrum of humanity. Our needs and strengths entwine us one with another. We are each teacher and pupil both. Nowhere is this more questionable than raw autism. You need look for your lesson to see the true spirit of the individual before you. Is it unconditional love, acceptance, patience, perseverance, or just understanding God's plan is not your own? Each of us, all of us, has a purpose. It is God given and it is unique just like their autism, just like your neurotypicalism. Typical is a facade. I am not typical. Neither are you.

No comments:

Post a Comment